10 reasons why you should come to Leeuwarden2020
The 2020 WFDF World Ultimate & Guts Championships will take place in Leeuwarden next year. A moment to look forward to for all Ultimate players. Not least because Leeuwarden is a great place to stay. We give you ten reasons why!
- Leeuwarden is ‘the ‘best kept secret’ of the Netherlands. It was not for nothing that Leeuwarden was chosen as the European Capital of Culture in 2018 and the city was in the top 3 of European destinations according to LonelyPlanet.
- The city of Leeuwarden is a city with an exciting history. Learn more about it by visiting The Fries Museum, Ceramics Museum Princessehof, Historical Centre Leeuwarden or one of the others museums.
- Leeuwarden is famous for its gabled houses and picturesque canals. Get on a boat tour or rent one yourself, or challenge yourself and try Stand Up Paddling (Supping) – a combination of wave surfing and kayaking.
- The city centre of Leewarden has more than 500 monuments. The most famous, without a doubt, is the Oldetower – a tower leaning even more than his famous brother/sister in Pisa, Tuscany.
- For many years, the Prinsentuin (Prince’s Garden) has been a popular location in Leeuwarden. It is a nice chill place at the water where you can barbecue, picnic, walk and watch the boats that pass by.
- Good food is everywhere in Leeuwarden. Go local and try sugar bread, herring or nail cheese – a delicacy that sounds a little weird, but tastes amazing. No worries, most restaurants also offer popular food from anywhere in the world.
- Leeuwarden at night is perhaps even more fun than by day. Leeuwarden is a real student city. That means lots of cozy cafés, nice terraces and a vibrant nighlife. In the Doelensteeg, the Ruiterskwartier and the Gouverneursplein you can dance until the early hours.
- The Province of Friesland has much more to offer besides Leeuwarden. Spend a long weekend or even a whole week (or even longer). Four national parks, countless lakes and the famous Frisian Eleven Cities. Friesland has it all!
- Do you want to buy a souvenir for your friends and family at home, or want to treat yourself with a nice gift? In addition to big brands, Leeuwarden boasts charming boutiques and concept stores.
- The World Championships will probably only pass once. The chance that the World Championships will come once again to the Netherlands is small. So do we see you in Leeuwarden?